EFCC recovers N57m from witnesses in missing ecological fund case

Key witnesses in ecological fund diversion trial refund money to the EFCC

 

– A source says so far, the sum of N57 million has been recovered from five people who were directly involved in the case

 

– EFCC alleges that Uche Secondus received money from Sambo Dasuki during the time he served as the deputy chairman of the PDP

 

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has recovered the sum of N57m from some individuals who tempered with ecological fund allocated to Niger state.

 

Daily Trust, citing a source, reports that key witnesses in the on-going trial over the matter at the Minna Federal High Court returned parts of the missing fund.

 

READ ALSO: EFCC recovers N216m From “Swiss Golden”

 

Among those standing trial for the alleged laundering of the ecological fund to the tune of N2 billion include former governor of the state Muazu Babaginda Aliyu and a commissioner of environment during the administration, Umar Nasko.

 

So far, the sum of N57 million has been recovered from five people who were directly involved in the saga, the source stated.

Nobody will read my biography because of my past – Babangida

– Ibrahim Babangida said people might not read his biography because he was a dictator

 

– The former head of state said people judge him by his past

 

– He said he has received little or no commendation for conducting the freest election in Nigeria

 

A former head of state, Ibrahim Babangida has lamented that his past as a military dictator is affecting the way people see him as most Nigerians do not take him serious because of the annulment of June 12, 1993 election.

 

Babangida, who made this statement during a programme on Channels TV titled ‘Roadmap 2019’, said he hoped that someday, the younger generation will ask for his own side of the story and understand why he cancelled the 1993 election.

 

He said: “They say, ‘he cancelled the freest election in the history but he annulled it’ but nobody gives me credit for conducting the freest election in the country.

Suspected herdsmen allegedly kill 32 villagers in Nasarawa

– Suspected herdsmen attacked four local governmnet in Nasarawa

 

– Most of the villagers attacked belonged to the Tiv people

 

– 32 people were reportedly killed during the attacks

 

No less than 32 people of Tiv origin have been reported dead after gunmen suspected to be herdsmen launched a deadly attack on several Tiv villages in Awe, Keana, Obi and Doma local government areas of Nasarawa state.

 

The Nation reports that over 10,000 Tiv villagers are homeless and were said to have been trapped along the Agwatashi-Jangwa road axis in Obi local government areas after gunmen ransacked their villages.

 

No death in Shiite Abuja protest, police arrest 115 members

The Police Command in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) on Monday, April 16, said it arrested 115 members of the Islamic Movement of Nigeria ( IMN) during a violent protest in Abuja.

 

The police also debunked stories in the social media that some lives were lost.

 

“No life was lost in the violent protest as the police operatives deployed to quell the protest were professional in handling the situation,” police spokesman,DSP Anjuguri Manzah said.

 

The News Agency of Nigeria ( NAN ) reports that the leader of the sect, Sheikh Ibrahim El-Zakzaky was arrested by the authorities after a clash with the convoy of the Chief of Army Staff in December 2015.

 

NAN also reports that the Shiites had organised several protests across the country demanding the release of their leader.

 

READ ALSO: While politicians are concerned about 2019, I am focused on economy, security – President Buhari

 

DSP Anjuguri Manzah, in a statement, said that the protesters also injured 22 policemen and destroyed government and police vehicles during the protest.

 

Anjuguri said that items recovered from them are: Catapults, Iron bars, Stones, Ball bearings and Pink head bands.

 

He said that the protesters also attacked innocent citizens, disrupted business activities, obstructed traffic and smashed windscreen of vehicles in the affected areas.

 

He said said that a Joint Team of detectives from the command in conjunction with operatives from the Inspector-General of Police Monitoring Unit, have commenced investigation into the incident.

 

“The arrested suspects will be charged to court upon the conclusion of investigation,”he said.

 

“The FCT police command hereby warns members of Shiites movement from further disrupting the peace, harmony and free flow of traffic in FCT,” he said.

 

He advised members of the public and parents not to allow their children or wards, to be used as instrument of violence in any demonstration by any group.

 

The spokesman warned that anyone caught in the act of violent demonstration or any act capable of causing the breach of public peace would be made to face the wrath of the law.

Police arrest 8 suspected Kidnappers in Katsina

The Police Command in Katsina State has arrested eight suspected kidnappers terrorising residents of the state.

 

The command’s spokesman, DSP Gambo Isa, made this known in a statement in Katsina on Monday, April 16.

 

Isa said that the first four suspects Joshua Yohanna, 22; Musa Ibrahim, 25; Nafiu Umar, 32; and Kabir Lawal, 28; were arrested in Kafur local government area of the state.

 

The spokesman said the suspects, through a phone call, threatened to kidnap and kill one Haruna Bello and Nuhu Yusuf of Gozaki town if they refused to pay a ransom of three million naira.

 

READ ALSO: No death in Shiite Abuja protest, police arrest 115 members

 

He said: “The victims have already sent N300,000 to them with a promise of sending the remaining amount later to avoid being kidnapped or killed.’’

 

Isa said the duo later reported to the police and the police Special Anti Robbery Squad swung into action and arrested of the suspects.

 

“During investigation, police arrested the four suspects who confessed to have committed the act.

 

“The police recovered the sim card they used in sending threat messages to their victims,’’ he said.

 

The spokesman said that the suspects were the syndicate terrorising people of Kafur and Danja local government areas of the state.

 

He further said that the police arrested four other suspected kidnappers – Mubarak Babangida, 21; Abubakar Lawal, 19; Aliyu Lawal, 22; and Nura Abdulhamid,

 

Isa said the suspects were arrested in Katsina following a tip off, adding that the suspects were arrested with women dresses planning to kidnap a four-year-old boy.

 

The spokesman said that the suspects would be prosecuted after investigations.

 

earlier reported that the Nigeria Police Force has arrested a notorious kidnap gang who abducted one Hadiza Husseini on Friday, Janauary 19, and demanded for five hundred thousand naira (N500,000.00) for her release.

 

According to a press statement sent to us by the force public relations office, CSP Jimoh Moshood, the incident took place at Anguwa Bala village in Karu local government area of Kaduna state.

4 policemen killed, 11 missing as gunmen allegedly ambush police team in Benue

A police team in Benue state reportedly ran into an ambush by gunmen

 

– Four of the officers on the team are dead while eleven others are missing

 

Four police officers are reportedly dead and eleven others missing after a police team in Benue state ran into an ambush by gunmen on the night of Sunday, April 15.

 

One of the dead officers, according to a report by Premium Times, was riding with his colleague from Anyibe to Ayilamo, in Logo local government area when he was attacked and killed by a group of gunmen.

 

According to a report by a resident, the second officer escaped with gunshots.

 

READ ALSO: Buhari, Trump to meet in Washington on April 30

 

A team of police who responded to the attack and went after the killers ran into an ambush and eleven of them are still missing, while one police truck was set ablaze as at the time this report was filed.

 

Another resident said: “Eleven officers are missing this night. These killers should be immediately declared a terrorist group now.”

 

The remains of the officers killed during the attack has been deposited at a local government hospital in Ayilamo.

 

However, in a fresh press release sent to NAIJ.com by the Benue state police command, the police admitted that four of their officers have been killed in the ambush and effort is on to find the perpetrators.

 

The police statement read: “The Benue state Police Command regret to report that its personnel came under attack of Insurgents at Anyibe, Logo LGA of the State between 1800hrs of yesterday, 15th April, 2018 and early morning of date. Sadly, at the moment, four (4) casualties have been suffered by the Police.

 

“Additional reinforcement (including the Air Asset of the Police) deployed by the Inspector General of Police is in pursuit of the murderous gang. They shall definitely be apprehended with their weapons of destruction and made to face the full wrath of the law.”

Celebrities storm the lavish wedding of ex-VP Atiku Abubakar’s son Tony in Dubai

Son of former vice president Atiku Abubakar weds his wife in Dubai

 

– The couple’s wedding was a star-studded event that took place in Dubai

 

Tony Abubakar, son of former vice president Atiku Abubakar, has tied the knot with his life partner in Dubai. The couple celebrated their union with family, friends and lots of Nigerian celebrities.

 

The new wife identified as Whitney was dressed in a beautiful white wedding dress as she walked down the aisle. Tony and Whitney celebrated their union at the Madinat Jumeriah luxury hotel.

 

Tony and Whitney tied the knot on Saturday, April 15. Many top Nigerian celebrities and politicians such as Senator Ben Murray Bruce, AY and Ramsey Nouah were at the wedding.